Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

X-men First Class

Out of the handful of films i have seen so far this summer i have to say that First Class has them all beat. While not perfect it hit enough key notes to impress me. Spoilers Ahead so avoid if you want to know nothing.

1. I thought the relationship between Erik and Charles was perfect. I felt as though Michael Fassbender captured Magneto perfectly. The emotion that he displays during a key scene where Charles unlocks a happy memory from the dark corners of his mind is both heartbreaking and at the same time it perfectly captures the character. My favorite moments from the film are when the two characters are simply playing chess and talking.

2. I thought Kevin Bacon nailed it out of the park. He was basically a 60's era bond villain through and through. Not a lot of Sebastian Shaw from the comics but you get what you get with comic to film transfers.

3. I thought the portrayal of Beast was spot on. I love the character so i am one sided on the subject. Their is a moment in the film where he is fighting one of Shaw's henchman called Azazel and as the fight progresses we get to see beast knock the hell out of said henchman by strong arm decking him roadhouse style.

4. By far the best cameo i have ever seen in a film. Hugh Jackman is Wolverine to a T and he demonstrates this in a 10 second clip.

I loved the look and the feel of the film and look forward to the blu-ray release to revisit this world. A vast improvement over X3 and Origins.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all of the above. I never thought I'd like the McAvoy Chuck, but I think he did an awesome job. Between him and Fassbender, they really did an awesome job on the film. They really did match each other well and had such the great relationship on screen.

    The Wolverine cameo was classic. And the retro James Bond feel was what the film needed.

    The only complaint I had was the weak disco X kids. I liked Mystique, but Banshee and Hulu Hoop Havok were pretty weak. I forget all the other ones names because they're not even mention worthy.

    ReplyDelete